Tips on What to Do Following a Fire Damage
Following these tips on What to Do and What Not to Do after you've experienced a Fire Damage on your property will save you time and money while you wait for SERVPRO of The East End to arrive. PREPARE, don’t panic! We got you!
Fire & Smoke Damage
WHAT TO DO:
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from scattering and becoming embedded in your upholstery and carpet. Keep hands clean. Soot on hands may further transport and soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Place dry, colorfast towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator completely and prop doors open to help prevent odor
- Wipe soot from chrome on kitchen and bathroom faucets, trim and appliances. Follow that step by applying a light coating of lubricant to further protect these surfaces.
- If heat is off during winter, pour RV antifreeze in sinks, toilet bowls, holding tanks and tubs to avoid freezing pipes and fixtures
- Change HVAC filter, and leave system off until a trained professional can check the system
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers to stop particles of soot from getting in or out of the HVAC system.
WHAT NOT TO DO:
- Do not attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces without contacting SERVPRO of The East End.
- Do not attempt to shampoo carpet or upholstered furniture without first consulting SERVPRO of The East End.
- Do not attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without first consulting an authorized repair service which SERVPRO of The East End can provide you with.
- Do not consume any food or beverages that may have been stored close to fire, heat or water. (They may have been contaminated).
- Do not turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. Wiring may be wet or damaged and cause electrical shock, and air movement may create secondary damage.
- Do not send garments to the dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set in smoke odor. SERVPRO of The East End can assist you in cleaning any clothing, draperies, rugs, carpet or upholstery that may have been affected.
If you have any questions about fire and smoke damage, please do not hesitate to call us at 631-653-9595. SERVPRO of The East End has over 50 years of experience cleaning and restoring residential and commercial properties. We are happy to answer any of your questions. As well, we can assess and mitigate the damages your property has suffered from any fire, water or mold damage you may have had. We are on call 24/7 for all of your emergencies. Ready to make it 'Like it never even happened'.
Call SERVPRO of The East End today at (631) 653-9595.