Safety Tips for New Year's Eve
New Year's Eve is traditionally a festive time to bid the current year adieu, and ring in the New Year. But for all that there is to enjoy about celebrating the New Year, we also need to take precautions that the celebration remains a celebration and doesn’t end in unexpected tragedy.
By following the tips we’ve gathered here, you will be better prepared to keep your celebration safe.
- If you are planning to celebrate with fireworks, store them in a metal box, read the instructions, never go back to a lit firework and keep a bucket of water nearby
- Never place candles near your Christmas tree or furnishings. Don't leave them burning unattended.
- Decorations burn easily - Don't attach them to lights or heaters.
- Be sure that holiday cards, wrapping paper & party hats are far away from any from a working fireplace, candles and lights.
- Turn off electrical appliances when not in use, unless they're designed to stay on. Take special care with fairy lights and outdoor lights. Always turn them off and unplug lights before you go to bed.
- See that your lights conform to the British Standard. Always use an RCD on outdoor electrical equipment (this is a safety device that saves lives by instantly turning the power off).
- Never leave cooking unattended.
- Check the batteries in your smoke & fire alarms every week and use the New Year as a reminder to clean it out and remove dust.
SERVPRO of The East End understands that New Year's celebrations are a time to have fun with family and friends!
From all of us at SERVPRO of The East End - We wish you and your families a Happy, Healthy, Safe and Festive New Year!