5 Easy Tips to Prepare for Water Damage
Water damage can happen in many different ways, and through many different sources. The better prepared you are, the less damage you will experience.
Water damage in your home or in your place of business does not need to be a traumatic experience.
Consider these 5 easy tips to better prepare.
- Check your insurance coverage. Most renter’s or homeowners insurance policies do not cover flooding, or even a sewer backup. Find out what coverage you do have.
- Keep a record of all of your belongings. Take photos and keep copies of receipts and other documents for more valuable items. Keep a copy of these records online, in a waterproof safe or at another location. If you do experience water damage, it can be easy to forget about certain belongings.
- Take precautions to limit the risk of water damage on your property by frequently checking pipes for leaks or weakness. Pay attention to any indicators that there might be water damage. These can be the sounds of dripping water in the walls, dark spots on the ceiling, or a significant change in your water bill.
- Set your home or business up so that it is at less risk of damage from heavy rains or flooding by ensuring that your roof is sound. Make sure there are no cracks in the foundation. Check that the landscaping around your property is sloped to direct water away from your foundation, rather than toward it.
- Find a professional you can trust. Water damage can be overwhelming, and you don’t want to be desperately searching for a water restoration expert at 3 AM when the pipes break.
About SERVPRO of The East End
SERVPRO of The East End specializes in the cleanup and restoration of residential and commercial property after a fire, smoke or water damage event. Our staff is IICRC trained and certified in property damage restoration. From the initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, our staff is equipped with the knowledge, experience, equipment and expertise to restore your property to 'Like it never even happened'. And we are on call 24/7 for all of your emergency needs.
For more information call us at 631-653-9595. Like us on social media, or visit our website: SERVPROeastend.com.